Thursday, February 8, 2007

The course is dead! Long live the blog!

Hello everyone!

Very pleasant final evening together, wasn't it? We missed you, Mouza, Saeeda and Reggie. [Saeeda - Mutaz took your reports/final handouts/precious pencil case + Mouza's stuff as well ---- Reggie, your envelope is behind Siham's counter - she's the Registrar on the left as you come in].

Now the build-up to next Thursday starts with a vengeance for the first victims - Saeeda/Hanan/Regi J (?). It would be fab if you all got together in the Learning Zone or even a spare room at the Council and did some group study... That road to hell is paved with good intentions!!!

The others, especially the 24 Feb crowd, be pro-active and help yourselves! Make study groups!

The end-March candidates, Mutaz and Imad, don't lose your edge!

A quick look at your course questionnaires (thank you,folks!) revealed:
  • a massive 12 out of 13 preference for a four week / nine hour a week course breakdown. I will definitely pass this message to my line manager
  • a feeling that Listening was neglected during the course [point taken and I will re-consider the balance for my next IELTS session - in March]. For the time being, why don't you analyse your disastrous performance in the Tuesday Listening by reading the INSIGHT transcript text (pages 171 -175) and see where you went wrong, given that I was marking very, very strictly
  • one student would not recommend the BC IELTS course to a friend/colleague. This person was outstanding for their negativity and passivity during the course and I would recommend that such supine, feckless individuals go and feel sorry for themselves elsewhere. IELTS is for fighters, not excuse makers. Hmmm, you know who you are, if you even bother to read the weblog, let alone contribute anything to the weblog or the course itself that has just ended! Ouch!

It was fun. It's over in one sense. The fat lady hasn't sung yet. The first performance will be on 15 February, then 24 Feb and in March (?).

Now it's a different ball game. The ball is in YOUR court now, IELTSwatch community. I am here, at a distance, but now you have to take responsibility for your IELTS fate.

Good luck and God bless you all

Tony

Your tutor and friend (NB correct spelling: 'friend')

How was the experience, Miss M? A definite step in the right direction!


4 comments:

Mouza said...

Dear Mr. Tony,
I had a really enjoyable experience during this course, not to forget the mass of information you have provided in such a short time, although the hours were a killer.
And I wish you all the best in your life, and I wish the rest of the class to pass the IELTS with high grades (Inshallah seven and above).
Do not worry about the blog if Allah is willing I will keep on posting.

Take care everyone and wish to hear from you all from time to time.

Regards,
Mouza

Mona said...

Dear Tony...
I do hope I survive till the 24th Feb.

I'll be doing my best to practice and definitely get the book you told us about.

I hope I do good....Thanks for everything!!!

saeeda said...

Hi,

I wanted to thank you for you effort Tony and the course was beneficial. I was wondering how I will get my pencil case precious. So thank you : ) I will get it from Mutaz.

I will still “insh allah” continue posting my writing and specially MBA writing task about “Managerial Leadership” and “Legal& Ethic in a business”.

I need your advice always Tony.

Take care and have a nice weekend.


Bye For Now

Tony Beale said...

Thank you, dear ladies!

The gentlemen are definitely 'beyond the pale', aren't they?

I look forward to hearing from you all, especially your encounters with the IELTS demon!

Mouza: you are a lady and I'll never forget how you sweetly said, "Thank you" every time I 'lumbered' you with yet another handout.

Mona: You will survive and thrive! The course was indeed a "Tale of Two (pairs of) Sisters" and we all benefitted as a result.

Saeeda: Mutaz will return your 'precious'and we wish you every success for next Thursday - Hanan and Regi as well! We all have good intentions at the end of an inspiring (?) course; where they lead to is another story.

Long live the blog!

More comments please!

4 National Geographic magazines NOT returned - please leave them for me at the BC reception desk.

Lovely weather here! Snowing in England!

BFN

Tony