Saturday, January 27, 2007

Hanan's report on Pearls


Dear Tony

I found my report in the archive, I dont (P) know how it went there, any how(S) here is my report.

My national Geographic report will be about pearls.

" Diamond the real story " was the title that got my attention when I picked up the magazine, even though the diamond is not my favorite stone. So I started reading about diamonds, I found the subject is very long and required a lot of time to finish, so I stoped (S) despite the very useful informations (G) that I read.
I went to search through our old National Geographic magazines at home, LUCKILY, I found a subject about pearls " Hunting pearls in French Polynesia ". I will not write about this subject, but only about some information that attracted me the most.
1- The one in 10,000 chance in finding a 'black pearl' would have ensured an early retirement for the lucky diver.
2- The only black pearls in the market are farmed, because it is forbidden to harvest wild oysters.
3- Sometimes, as big as 18 mm in diameter, black pearls have about 1000 layers of mother of pearl.
4- The price of pearls is dependent on objective criteria. Size is a matter. As does shape 'round is best', and quality : 'A' grade means less than ten per cent of the surface has any defects. From 1,000 oysters only five will produce a pearl of A quality !
5- Lastly, and what I did not like about my favorite jewellery is that several fatalities happened every year, because many of the smaller farms use free-divers to retrieve the lines of oysters, some of them diving as deep as 60 meters without breathing apparatus. It is a hazardous occupation.

Even though I have both, black and white pearls, I still prefer the white. A white pearl necklace was the first gift I received from my husband twenty years ago.

I hope that every one will like my topic, and I will be very happy Tony if you correct my mistakes.

Hanan

Very sweet and personal - thanks Hanan! Actually I have corrected most of the mistakes and left you (and your helpers!) with a few to look over.

Bye for now

Tony

3 comments:

Tony Beale said...

Hello Hanan

Thanks for the post on pearls.

I'm not sure if I will have the time to 'correct' your mistakes. The idea was for you all to start reading something scientific / historical / econmomic, for which NG magazine serves my purpose. It was also meant to get people writing and using the weblog. So you have succeeded on all three counts.

At some stage, I will try to 'highlight' your mistakes for YOU to correct (with help from your daughter(s)?

Lovely to hear from you.

Best regards

Tony

Mouza said...

Dear Hanan,
Thank you very much for your information on pearls, as i have enjoyed reading about it.
Take care and see you in class.

Regards,
Mouza

saeeda said...

Hi,

I enjoyed reading yours summarize about pearls.

See you tomorrow “Insha Allah”

bye