Saturday, January 20, 2007

Hello Mr. Tony,

I have just signed in and am trying to figure out how everything works on this site :-) I must say that I should have signed in sooner but I had been busy reading the book "Insight into IELTS". I am on the "reading module" of the book. It is very helpful and has lots of tips and exercises on how to go about this part of the exam.
There is something that I am not clear about with one of the excersises. When asked to complete a note or a sentence using No More Than Three Words, do we have to use the words from the text? And are numbers considered as words when completing such sentences?
I am going to do my search of the labours of Hercules now and will post my answer soon.
Regards,
Maryam

4 comments:

Tony Beale said...

Welcome, welcome, welcome Maryam! I'm glad to see that you have been studying the "Insight" book and it has given you some help.

Three word answers are usually from the text, unless the instructions say "in your own words". A number is a word in my book. Again read the question carefully and be sure what you are looking for.

Leave the labours* of Hercules, how about the Ancient Seven Wonders of the World? This is because on 7 July 2007 (7 0 07) they are going to announce the Seven Wonders of the Modern World. Hmm what are the nominations? Taj Mahal and Stonehenge are two, I know.

Lovely to hear from you!

Tony

* I always use British spelling (of course!) IELTS will accept American spelling alternatives, but rejects spelling MISTAKES as such. Accuracy is essential!

Mouza said...

Hello Maryam,
Welcome to the club as they say :)
So you missed alot by not signing in earlier, but do not worry Tony will not leave you in peace, here he go with a new task :))
Just sharing my thoughts Tony, please do not take it personely.

saeeda said...

Hi,

Welcome Mayram to the blogger.

Bye

saeeda said...

Hi,

I found the link below it might be helpful

http://wonderclub.com/AllWorldWonders.html

So Tony the Ancient Seven Wonders of the World is as follows:
-The great pramid of Giza
-The hanging gardens of Babylon
-The statue of Zeus at Olympia
-The temple of Artemis of Ephesus
-The mausoleum at Halicarnassus
-The colossus of Rhodes
-The lighthouse of Alexandria

http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/wonders/list.html

Bye