Friday, January 19, 2007

Join us and start posting!

So, 7 out of 17 have checked their emails and joined the blog, hmmmmmm!!

The next phase is to create a post. Possible subjects include:

  • your letter to me (and the class!)
  • your thoughts on the greatest invention
  • your reaction to day 1 of the course
  • your queries about IELTS (rather here than at 10.17pm on Monday when I try to catch up with Noura out of the classroom)
  • your news / views / ideas /
  • your thoughts about the big games coming up between Liverpool and Chelsea tomorrow and then Arsenal and Manchester United on Sunday [Reem and Mutaz well done for Iraq beating Qatar last night!]

Tony expects every student to do his/her duty!

ps You never gave me that complete Shakespeare quotation: " I must be cruel only to be __ __ __ __ ."

pps What did Winston Spencer Churchill pledge the British people in the darkest days of World War Two? It's the same with me and my 'gift' to you. He (and Tony) had only :
b __ __ __ __
t __ __ __
t __ __ __ __ __
s __ __ __ __ __

to offer (lol)

Tony

5 comments:

Reggie Morada said...

I am pleased to respond to your challenging quizzes as follows:
1. Shakespeare quotation: " I must be cruel only to be K I N D ."

2. What did Winston Spencer Churchill pledge the British people in the darkest days of World War Two? It's the same with me and my 'gift' to you. He (and Tony) had only :
b l o o d
t o i l
t e a r s
s w e a t

to offer

saeeda said...

Hi Tony,
I searched through yahoo and I found the below link about Hercules.
http://www.crystalinks.com/12laborshercules.html
I copied a few paragraphs from the above mentioned link.
The Twelve Labors are a series of archaic episodes connected by a later continuous narrative, concerning a penance carried out by Hercules, the greatest of the Greek heroes.
The goddess Hera, determined to make trouble for Hercules, made him lose his mind. In a confused and angry state, he killed his own wife and children.
When he awakened from his "temporary insanity," Hercules was shocked and upset by what he'd done. He prayed to the god Apollo for guidance, and the god's oracle told him he would have to serve Eurystheus, the king of Tiryns and Mycenae, for twelve years, in punishment for the murders.
As part of his sentence, Hercules had to perform twelve Labors, feats so difficult that they seemed impossible. Fortunately, Hercules had the help of Hermes and Athena, sympathetic deities who showed up when he really needed help. By the end of these Labors, Hercules was, without a doubt, Greece's greatest hero.

saeeda said...

Hi Tony,

1. Shakespeare quotation: “I must be cruel only to be kind”. I found the answer in http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/29484.html


2. Winston Spencer Churchill pledge the British people in the darkest days of World War Two that he had only

Blood
Toil
Tears
Sweat

You can see below the text which I copied the answer from it.

Churchill's speeches were a great inspiration to the embattled British. His first speech as Prime Minister was the famous "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat" speech.

For the first writing part I will try to post it tomorrow.

Now I will go and sleep Goodnight.

Bye.

Tony Beale said...

Fabulous work, ladies! I am impressed!
So when I am tough and demanding it is a form of 'kindness'.
Churchill spoke to the 'embattled' British people, I speak to the overwhelmed and threatened IELTS students. Our message is the same: we are fighting a deadly foe who shows no mercy; it needs great sacrifice to achieve victory and there will be setbacks (and tears) along the way.
I don't want blood, just your commitment and co-operation.
It's looking promising.
As usual, the ladies are blazing the trail, so COME ON GUYS!
See you on the weblog tomorrow, before the big football game!
Good night!

Tony

Mouza said...

Hello,
Thanks Reggie for the information.
I do not need to search for the answers now do I :))
Just kidding I have posted one answer.
Take care everyone and Hope to see you all in class